Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Give it to me straight...

I'm seeing a TON of anthologies being published lately by the Big Houses (aka publishers in NY) for their new erotica lines. There seem to be more anthologies/collections than full length stories. Yet, when I'm at work, it seems that readers steer clear of anthologies when they're buying, with the exception of a few ladies who prefer to read a complete story in one sitting.

So I ask, do you like reading shorter works like novellas? When it comes time to plunk down your dollars on a book (to the tune of $12 or more) will it be a full length novel that you choose or an anthology?

I'll admit, as long as one of my fave authors are in an anthology, I'll buy. But I will NOT purchase an anthology full of authors I don't know. I tend to try new authors with novels. Kind of strange, but for me that's the way it is. It takes something really compelling to convince me to pick up the book of a new author. A really catchy title or premise. Rarely will I see something that compelling in an anthology.

Anyone want to share their thoughts? I'm anxious to hear.

posted by Tawny Taylor at 9:02 AM |

6 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Vivienne King:


good blog and kinda scary too. I'm currently not writing one, not two, but 3 novellas. LOL...of course I feel like you do that I won't read an anthalogy from someone I don't know.

But if by some wonderful miracle Jessica can get my ST sold to NY then I figured my name would mean a little more if I got placed in an anthalogy. That is if my ST gets sold before my novella. You just never know. LOL...


4:48 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Interesting timing, but I posted this blog this morning and Kate Douglas shared some great news about Sexy Beast, the Aphrodesia anthology she's in. It's selling very well.

So, perhaps the readers at my bookstore are not a fair representation of erotica readers.

For your sake, Vivienne, I hope that's the case :)


5:00 PM 
Commented by Blogger Jodie:


If i'm reading an ebook, then I'm not fussed either way. But if it's in print - I prefer a full length novel. I have read 1 anthology which all the stories were interconnected so I liked that - but I like longer stories.


11:18 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


That's interesting, Jodici. Format matters? I hadn't considered that possibility at all.

Thanks so much for sharing your opinion!


7:44 AM 
Commented by Blogger Shelli Stevens:


I'm discovering that I not only love writing short stories and novellas, but I love reading them. It's hard to fit regular length books into my schedule, between writing and a two year old.

I just bought your EC book that's in print through Amazon. It looks great! Can't wait to read it. :) Thanks for all the advice you've given me, Tawny!


10:59 AM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Thanks for posting Shelli! I can TOTALLY relate to the challenges of writing with a 2 year old at home with you.

Thank God for naptime!


9:47 AM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela