Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Thursday, March 16, 2006

graduations, leprechaun traps and Mont Blanc pens

Today is a big day. For a few reasons.

First and foremost, it's Family Day at Ft. Jackson for the graduates of Army boot camp. Sadly, March being the horrible month it has proven to be this year, I wasn't able to make the trip (see the first post). My oldest son will graduate from boot camp tomorrow. Talk about big time guilt :( Why oh why couldn't we have one last week's Big Game drawing?! I'm so very proud of my son. He's overcome so much to get to this point. Years of medication for seizures. Learning difficulties. He suffered a broken rib in boot camp, still he kept going. He didn't quit.

Jonathan, I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of you!

But there is a brighter side to this day. My first-grader had a project due today--a Leprechaun trap. If there is one thing my seven year old is into, it's science. He has obsessed about this project for weeks. This morning, he walked into his classroom with the HUGEST smile on his face, carrying a three-foot structure he'd built out of plastic Tinker Toys. Ah, the joy of accomplishment! And the joy of watching a child reap the rewards of his hard work.

Speaking of rewards, I've had a couple (moving into writer mode).

I won second place in the PUTTING PASSION INTO PRINT pitch contest :) My Mont Blanc pen is in the mail! Yay!

Some people may ask why a multi-published author feels the need to enter writing contests. I had one judge actually write that on a contest entry once. It's simple--I need to challenge myself. To put my work out there in a competitive arena where everyone is on a level playing field. Where an author's name won't sway the judging. Where dollars spent on marketing won't matter. I need to see how I can improve, how I can grow. How I can make my writing stand out. There's another reason, I'll admit. I think I have something to prove to myself yet, even after selling over fifteen books. I never finaled in an RWA contest. Not a one. It was always the same--two great scores and one REALLY bad one. And so, I keep plugging away, entering writing contests here and there, hoping someday I'll get a call (or email). Granted, I can count on one hand the number of RWA contests I've entered, but some folks win on their first try. Makes me wonder how I'm missing the mark? Also makes me wonder if contests are really a measure of the publishability (is that a word? lol) of a book. Some of my best selling books did awful in RWA contests, including the one that scored a Top Pick from RT.

Anyway, that's a subject for another day :)

And the second bit of good news...I received a terrific review of SPELLS AND SEDUCTION. I always obsess (yes, it's a family trait) as I wait for the first review of a book. That one's the scariest. If it's bad...then I get really depressed and avoid reading future reviews. If it's good...then I celebrate!

This review was particularly great. Here's a bit:

Ménage a trios scenes aren’t as uncommon as they once were, matter of fact they’ve become predictable and almost expected. Not the one in Spells and Seduction! It was so delectable and innovative, I had to go back and read it twice. Combine it with sex so hot it would make the sun envious and a heart-tugging story of lost love found, and you have another one of Tawny Taylor’s can't miss, spanking good reads!

5 Kisses
Shawn Monique Grimes, Romance Divas

posted by Tawny Taylor at 8:51 AM |

0 Comments:

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela