Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Starting a new series!

I'm Sooooo excited! Starting a new series today. Yay!

There's so much that goes into the planning of a new series. Thought about the world it will take place in. The kinds of creatures, if it's a para/fantasy. The characters that will connect one book to another.

I have a killer series title. Really stirs the creative juices. And a super hot title for the launch book. I have the hero and heroine's names. All of that took hours and hours of research. I gave the Google engines a healthy workout between last night and this morning, LOL.

A lot of new writers ask where the characters' names come from. I tend to go to baby name sites for mine. Before I start searching, I usually have a vague idea of the "feel" of the character's name. Will it start with a "hard" sound (k, b, d) or a "soft" one (s, soft c, h). My heroes tend to demand short mono-syllabic names, though there are those few who didn't (Malcolm, for example). Their names tend to start with hard sounds, the heroines' with soft sounds.

After I have found the first names that best fit the characters, I Google the nationality of the characters, along with the word "surname". That usually brings up a handful of sites with lists of last names. Then it's a matter of saying the names together, first and last, until something clicks.

Any writers out there want to share how they select their characters' names?

posted by Tawny Taylor at 7:21 AM |

2 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Jodie:


My characters usually tell me what their names are. LoL I wanted to name my heroine for A Devil's Proposal Cecilia but she wouldn't co-operate and told me her name was Winifred. So Cecilia ended up being her cousin. So yeh. The character motivate me.


9:26 AM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


You're so lucky! They tell you? You don't have to read a bazillion names? My characters are stubborn. They don't let me know until I've read the names. Then they shout "Yes! That's it!"


9:37 AM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela