Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Writers has this ever happened...

Writers, has this ever happened to you?

Backstory:

I'm working on the launch book of a really cool new series for Ellora's Cave. I'm extremely excited about the project, about the premise, about the possibilities, the conflicts, the characters. For all you paranormal fans--yes, there are vampires...along with all kinds of other fantastical creatures.

Now, here's my dilemma. I started reading Angela Knight's Master of the Moon a couple nights ago. And while she has this whole King Arthur, Magekind, alternate world stuff going on that I don't have, there are enough similarities in the suspense element of the plot to make me reconsider where my story's going. The last thing in the world I want is for readers to think my story is a second-rate Angela Knight knock-off. {sigh}

So, although I'm not back to the drawing board on the whole concept behind my series, I'm having to go back and change the suspense thread. Change the motivation for the villian, the nature of the crimes, etc.

Anyone else read a book and have an "Oh My God! That's just like my story!" moment?

Please, share. What'd you do?

posted by Tawny Taylor at 9:31 AM |

2 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Vivienne King:


Umm yeah, and unfortunately it's the very book that's been contracted. I don't know what it is about me, but I seem to always be a cheap knock off of somebody else's book and *GASP* half the time I've never even read the book.

Scared the heck out of me the other day when I was in borders and I grabbed that new Cheyenne McCray story. OMG, that similarties...fae's, witches, San Francisco!!! UGH!!! I'm not even going to rewrite my book but it bothers me...I have enough differences that hopefully people won't make the comparisons, unfortunately I can almost see it coming. :( Add to that, that I've been told my writing is similar to the Anita Blake style...ummm...never read a one. And that's the honest to God truth. Am I afraid that if the book sales that people will call me a cheap knock off of Laurell K. or even Cheyenne...oh my, yes. But because I've never read either series I can still hope that they're not so similar. Sigh...what a mess when you find that out. Good luck with yours, hun. I don't envy you the task, but I can say if I'd known beforehand what would have happened with my own I would be doing the very same thing.


8:07 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


OMG, Vivienne! {{HUGS}}

I can just imagine how frustrating that must be--to hear your books are just like someone else's and know you'll be compared to them. Oy!

And it's too late to do anything about it.

I hope you are right, and people see what is *different* about your stories, rather than what is the same. And they appreciate those differences.


10:14 PM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela