Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Monday, April 17, 2006

Pacing the Floor

I received a phone call at the end of last week from Kensington. My edits are on the way. {GULP!}

It's not like I haven't edited a book before. I have. My edits for my Ellora's Cave releases are exhaustive. I usually go through three to four "rounds" of edits. The first couple are for larger-picture issues. Plot holes. Characterization. Etc. The final rounds are for smaller issues like punctuation, any missed inconsistencies that have arisen from the earlier edits--people getting undressed twice, that kind of thing.

But this is it, my first stab at NY edits. I'm sooooo nervous!

What if I get this box of marked up pages and have no idea what the little red marks mean? Will I know what to do? I'm guessing there will be instructions and all will go smoothly, but I can't help wringing my hands and pacing the floor, listening for the Fed Ex truck to rumble up to my driveway.

Wish me luck all! This week the kiddies are home from school. Double Trouble :)

posted by Tawny Taylor at 8:45 AM |

5 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Vivienne King:


nerve wrecking yes, but look at it this way...you're living the dream. ;) that's exciting! :D

lots of luck.


8:42 PM 
Commented by Blogger Shelli Stevens:


You'll do great! You've obviously got talent and they love you. It can't be that different. Besides, EC sounds like they put you through the ringer! Congrats!!


3:35 AM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Thanks Vivienne and Shelli!

It's not too bad, although I am going to have to look up copy editor's marks to make sure I do my part correctly. There is a TON of red pencil all over the ms, but most of those are indicating formatting: italics, font, em dashes, etc. I don't have to worry about those issues. WHEW! I have a week to get this back to New York. I think I'll be okay.


9:26 AM 
Commented by Blogger JENNA:


My e-pub edits are more extensive than the traditional were - with Phaze the editor and I volley the document back and forth for a month. With M&B I got a box of paper with line numbers. I found 8 things wrong. That's it. 5 hours. I emailed the list and it was done. Here's hoping you get the same pleasant surprise!


4:36 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Jenna,

Same here! My EC editor puts my books through several rounds of edits before sending it to the copyeditor.

My Kensington editor told me she didn't expect to have a lot of edits, but I had a hard time believing her until I had the edits in my hands.

I'm done. WHEW! Now, to find a FedEx depot around here so I can ship them back.


8:06 PM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela