Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Rambling about Dan Brown


IMO, Dan Brown has nailed the page-turner suspense plot.

I've read three of his books now, in this order: DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, and Deception Point. I loved DaVinci Code. The plot was tight and the premise was fascinating. I will admit, Angels and Demons had a fantastic premise but the pacing was slow. It didn't hold my attention (granted, I have ADHD, so it's easy to lose me). I wondered if perhaps The DaVinci Code was Dan's one hit, or if he'd perhaps found his stride with later books. I picked up Deception Point to see, and I didn't put it down until I finished it.

I read this book as both a writer and a reader. It was a fascinating study in plotting. Brown knew what he was doing with this one. There's conflict on every page. The chapters are extremely short and always end on a hook, which keeps the reader turning pages. Things go from bad, to worse to disastrous. But you know as you're reading where it's headed. And it's your need to see how it all goes down that makes you keep reading.

I want to write like Dan Brown! Hot sex and spine-tingling suspense would be such a fabulous combination. I think I'm going to have to do some more reading. Research, you know?

Anyone else want to share their non-romance favorites? I love suspense stories that make me think and I'm open to recommendations. BTW, I'm a science geek. Love science.

posted by Tawny Taylor at 9:09 AM |

4 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Jen:


Favorite non-romance writer--Terry Brooks, the Shannara series.
I also love Carol O'Conner, P.D. James and Elizabeth Peters all mystery writers. I'm kind of all over the place. I read romance a lot more though.


12:37 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Thanks for sharing, Jen! I'll have to check those authors out this weekend when I'm at work.


10:12 AM 
Commented by Blogger Faith:


I tried to read ANGELS AND DEMONS and it bored me to tears, plus I found a lot of his prose in that one mostly in telling mode, which is a pet peeve of mine.

Now DECEPTION POINT is a kick-ass novel! I couldn't put that darn book down. I even wrote a review about it for WCP! I haven't read the DAVINCI CODE yet. Gasp! LOL.


11:07 AM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Hi Faith,

If you loved Deception Point, you should enjoy DaVinci Code too. It was plotted much the same--short chapters, lots of action. Plus, DaVinci Code's premise was interesting. Brown's prose might not be as tight in DC as it was in Deception Point, but it's not too far behind. I enjoyed both books a lot.

Now that DC is out in mass market, it's worth it to grab a copy. Let me know what you think if you do!


11:13 AM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela