Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Wind-up. The Pitch. The Home Run!

The past couple of days, I've been preparing my materials for my pitches at RT. I have two, both to editors. Since I've never been to a writer's conference, I've never given a formal pitch. This is all new territory for me, and I'll tell you right now, I'm nervous as heck. But there's nothing that eases a case of the jitters better than being prepared. That's what I'm determined to do--be so prepared there's no reason to be nervous.

My first step was to get online and google the editors' names. I want to learn as much as I can about the editors ahead of time. What books have they acquired? What genres do they work in? Any pet peeves? Do they absolutely hate Alpha males? Do they have a phobia of polar bears? (my story has a bear shapeshifter) I wasn't able to find anything as specific as those last couple of questions, but I was able to find some good information. There are so many sites, including RWA chapters, that host and publish interviews with editors and agents that it's not always difficult to find information on them.

Once I'd verified the editors would be interested in my genre, I focused on the next step--composing my pitch. This is the hard part and I'm not finished with it yet. I've found a few websites with suggestions on what to include, among them:

Anna Genoese's blog (Tor editor)
This article by Sue Fagalde Lick
This article--it has some handy advice and a fantastic example, but it is a lead-in to a sales pitch for services. Wanted to warn you.
And Ready, Aim...Pitch by Julie Ortolon

More tomorrow. I'm trying to brainstorm something as brilliant as the scratch off lottery tickets today :)

posted by Tawny Taylor at 8:27 AM |

2 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Jen:


You can do this Tawny. Your writing is awesome and tight. What you do in your story telling I know you can do in your pitch.
I'll send lots of good thoughts your way on National's weekend.


9:25 AM 
Commented by Blogger Zinnia:


Heh, I never win at scratch-offs...


2:08 PM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela