Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Monday, July 03, 2006

Blog Review Karen Scott's World


http://karenscottworld.blogspot.com/

I went a-wandering through blogland today and stumbled upon this intriguing blog. The title on the header: “It’s my blog and I’ll say what I want to; Observations on life, love, sex, books, and the world!”

Hmmmm...attitude. That sounds like fun...
I read on.
I immediately gathered this is a personal blog, not one intended to promote any one publisher/author or agency.

I read further...

The first article is about men spending time with children.

I have to agree: the stresses of children are more likely to cause problems, rather than solve them. People who think it's the other way around tend to end up in divorce court.

That was a semi-interesting post. Certainly nothing to get too excited about. Should I read on? Sure. What the hell.

The second title caught my eye: Authors Behaving Badly.

Ooooohhhh. Dirt! Now we're talking.

The subject matter is Dara Joy. It seems she may be taking money for her self-published books but not shipping them. Gossip. I love reading gossip.

I explored further.

More dirt, about one of my fave authors, Mary Janice Davidson. And also about Changeling Press and several of the authors published by that small press. There’s another post about LL Gurke’s slam of Ellora’s Cave (now THAT was some ugly shit!).

I forced myself to check out some of her non-authors-behaving-badly posts (It was hard. Those were so much fun!).

here’s a rundown of Piers Anthony write-ups on some of the better known epublishers. I found the comments particularly interesting. There are also some posts on sports (yawn). Book reviews (yay!). And posts on miscellaneous other topics. I eventually stopped digging through the archives.

Overall, this blog was amusing. The author makes no apologies for what she posts (I wish I had that kind of guts sometimes). Her blunt opinions make for some interesting reading, as do the comments of her readers. And there are LOTS of them. She’s obviously doing something very right!

There’s some juicy gossip in there to amuse, as well as a splash of info. But there’s not enough “meat” to make it useful in a writerly, building-your-career sort of way. Frankly, it doesn’t look like it’s intended to be that sort of blog.

If you like reading dirt, or commentary on interesting, timely topics head on over! You’re sure to be pleased.

My rating: I give it a 6.

Oh, and here's hoping my name NEVER ends up under the Authors Behaving Badly heading :)


posted by Tawny Taylor at 7:15 PM |

12 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Bernadette Gardner and Jennifer Colgan:


I wanted to go check this out, but it looks like the blog was taken down. Maybe she said too much?? ;)


8:15 AM 
Commented by Blogger Anne:


Nope, she didn't say too much, just moved to a different URL. She wasn't shut down, she took it upon herself to move her blog. I'm thinking she didn't like the people who were frequenting the blog. *G*


12:13 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


She faced a boatload of insults hurled her way after making that stupid comment about the authors getting peanuts. I suppose it was easier to move the blog than to delete dozens of ugly comments a day from outraged authors.


2:45 PM 
Commented by Anonymous Anonymous:


From Medusa68 on LKH Forum,

I believe she may have taken it down after many people read about her slamming many authors from some posts on the LKH site. She had some very nasty comments, as well as a lot of name calling when one of the authors made a comment about her name. I believe some of what she was saying might have been borderline slander, so maybe she didn't want to get sued. i read what she had to say, when it was copied onto someones website.


2:31 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


There's definitely a lesson to be learned from this--NEVER talk about other authors' money. You can slam their work, you can poke fun at their covers, but say they make peanuts and all hell will break loose.


8:05 AM 
Commented by Anonymous Karen Scott:


Tawny wrote: She faced a boatload of insults hurled her way after making that stupid comment about the authors getting peanuts. I suppose it was easier to move the blog than to delete dozens of ugly comments a day from outraged authors.

Who are you talking about? Because I hope you know that it was Laura Lee Ghurke who made those comments Tawny.

Medusa wrote: I believe she may have taken it down after many people read about her slamming many authors from some posts on the LKH site. She had some very nasty comments, as well as a lot of name calling when one of the authors made a comment about her name. I believe some of what she was saying might have been borderline slander, so maybe she didn't want to get sued. i read what she had to say, when it was copied onto someones website.

Once again I respectfully ask who you're talking about? It seems to me there's a lot of information on here, that's totally wrong. I think you may have confused me with Luara Lee Ghurke.

If you're indeed talking about LLG, then apologies, if in fact you're talking about me, then I suggest you go back and re-read whatever thread you got your information from, because I think you'll find that you've got muddled up somewhere.


2:18 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


IMPORTANT!

CLARIFYING:

To avoid any upset, yes, I was referring to Laura Lee Ghurke, not Karen Scott, when I said the following: "She faced a boatload of insults hurled her way after making that stupid comment about the authors getting peanuts. I suppose it was easier to move the blog than to delete dozens of ugly comments a day from outraged authors."

I certainly didn't mean to pin that on anyone but the guilty party, Laura Lee Ghurke.

Er...thanks for popping by, Karen.


2:26 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


OY! Did I chase Karen Scott out of blogland? Tell me it wasn't my little review. I didn't say anything negative.

I didn't realize Bernadette was talking about Karen's blog. I thought she was talking about Laura's.

And here I thought I was doing a good thing, by reviewing and sending new people over...Everyone else I've reviewed have been pleased...

Damn!

Maybe I AM on her "Authors Behaving Badly" list now :(

You see? I stir up shit without even trying.

Meduse, were you talking about Karen or Laura? I remember that Laura Ghurke thing, Jaid Black's comeback. The whole shebang. I thought you were referring to that.


2:41 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Gurhke. Laura Lee Gurhke. I spelled her name wrong.

I can't find the original post, but here's a nicely written summary: http://helenkaydimon.com/blog/2006/05/lets-think-before-we-speak/


5:08 PM 
Commented by Blogger Karen Scott:


Hi Tawny, no you didn't chase me out of blogland. *g*

I was sent this link, (which just goes to prove how small Romanceland is) so I thought I better clear the confusion up, or else before you I knew it, I'd have ended up being touted as the love-child of Prince Albert of Monaco.

You know how these things can get blown out of proportion.


6:03 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Glad we were able to clear up the misunderstanding.

Oooh! Love child of royalty??? You lucky girl! I know what I'm going to blog about tomorrow...joking :)

BTW, I found your new home, but as you see, I didn't post it. Best of luck with the new blog.


6:15 PM 
Commented by Blogger Jess:


For Karen Scott:
http://myepidemic.blogspot.com/2006/07/i-am-gods-hackeysack-drew-carey.html

Hope you get this!


11:35 PM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela