Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Confessions of a "Carnal" Book Lover


(photograph by Kristen Handfield)

Okay, so I'm spending my evening doing what all (slacking/procrastinating) writers are doing...blog hopping! And I discovered the Avon editors' group blog, aptly titled Avon Romance Blog.

June 11's entry caught my eye. Titled "For Book Lovers", it spoke to me, perhaps because I am (of course) a book lover. Have been since I was a little girl.

My faves: Nancy Drew, Little House books, college psychology textbooks, Fairytales...the list goes on. I'd read anything. I was a book carp.

Some things haven't changed, but I digress...

The blog entry turns out to be about a collection of published essays by Anne Fadiman. Evidently, she has determined there are exactly two types of book lovers, those who are "Courtly" and those who are "Carnal".

According to the Avon blog's summary (I haven't read the essay so I am relying on their synopsis), Courtly book lovers do not dog-ear books or break the spine. They wouldn't write in a book or rip out a page. (I know someone like this--her books are arranged by author and then alphabetized by title.)

On the other hand, Carnal book lovers don't bother with bookmarks and break the spine at will. They might use a book as a coaster, or if needed, use a couple to prop up a piece of furniture missing a leg.

Me? I confess (as my entry’s title suggests), I am a Carnal book lover. My books are well-used and well-loved. I sleep with them. I lose them in the creases between the couch cushions. I read them while I eat and leave the occasional smear on a page. A small stack of hardcover books prop up my son's tippy desk.

The shame.

Want to win a free print proof of my September release, Sex and the Single Ghost? Go to All A-blog at www.AccessRomance.com and publish a comment to my post. I'll be drawing one winner.

Good luck!

posted by Tawny Taylor at 12:13 PM |

2 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Jen:


I'm somewhere in between. I read them, dog ear the pages but I don't use them for a coaster. And I alphabetize and organize by author. LOL.
LOVE my books.


12:34 PM 
Commented by Blogger Amanda Brice:


I'd say I'm somewhere in between courtly and carnal too. I'd love to not break the spine, but hey, it happens.


1:55 PM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela