Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Memorable Author Bios

Over on the Romance Divas, someone was asking about what to include in her bio.

My advice: depends upon its purpose. Is it for a website? Then fresh, clever and funny works well. Check these out (God, I wish I could think of something this fun!)

Madison Hayes:


I slung the heavy battery pack around my hips and cinched it tight — or tried to.
"Damn." Brian grabbed an awl. Leaning over me, he forged a new hole in the too-big belt.
"Any advice?" I asked him as I pulled the belt tight.
"Yeah. Don't reach for the ore cart until it starts moving, then jump on the back and immediately duck your head. The voltage in the overhead cable won't just kill you. It'll blow you apart."

That was my first day on my first job. Employed as an engineer, I've worked in an underground mine that went up—inside a mountain. I've swung over the Ohio River in a tiny cage suspended from a crane in the middle of an electrical storm. I've hung over the Hudson River at midnight in an aluminum boat—30 foot in the air—suspended from a floating barge at the height of a blizzard, while snowplows on the bridge overhead rained slush and salt down on my shoulders. You can't do this sort of work without developing a sense of humor, and a sense of adventure.

New to publishing, I read my first romance two years ago and started writing. Both my reading and writing habits are subject to mood and I usually have several stories going at once. When I need a really good idea for a story, I clean toilets. Now there's an activity that engenders escapism.

I was surveying when I met my husband. He was my 'rod man'. While I was trying to get my crosshairs on his stadia rod, he dropped his pants and mooned me. Next thing I know, I've got the backside of paradise in my viewfinder. So I grabbed the walkie-talkie. "That's real nice," I told him, "but would you please turn around? I'd rather see the other side."
…it was love at first sight.


You'll never look at those people surveying properties again, will you? LOL

Here's another one of my favorites, Shannon Stacey


Shannon Stacey was a two-time Olympic gold medal winner, basking in the glory of cereal box appearances, before giving up the athletic world to pursue her love of music. Her command performance of "Mandy" reportedly brought the Queen to tears, but an unfortunate incident with a habanero pepper forced her to turn her attention to other pursuits. After swimming with sharks off the Great Barrier Reef and scaling Mt. Kilimanjaro, she once danced the night away in a little bar known as Rick's Café Americain.

Okay, I got a little carried away there. All fiction. Although, I'm pretty sure the Queen would cry if she heard me sing Barry Manilow. But I just love to make stuff up. My ability to veer away from the truth, and my horror of anything mathematical, made it pretty clear from an early age that I would be either a writer or a really bad accountant with a lot of good excuses. It wasn't clear until much later that my favorite stories would be about two people defying all odds to find their Happily Ever Afters.

I married my own Prince Charming in 1993, and we're the proud parents of a future Nobel Prize for Science-winning bookworm and an adrenaline junkie with a flair for drama. We also have two cats who refuse to curl up on my lap and keep it warm while I write. Fortunately, writing steamy love stories helps heat up the cold New England winters. I'm excited and honored that Ellora's Cave will be bringing my stories to readers.

(That last paragraph--all true.)

How about one more? Jaci Burton

In April 2003, Ellora's Cave foolishly offered me a contract for my first erotic romance and I haven't shut up since. My writing is an addiction for which there is no cure, a disease in which strange characters live in my mind, all clamoring for their own story. I try to let them out one by one, as mixing snarling werewolves with a bondage and discipline master can be very dangerous territory. Then again, unusual plotlines offer relief from the demons plaguing me.

In my world, well-endowed, naked cabana boys do the vacuuming and dishes, little faeries flit about dusting the furniture and doing laundry, Wolfgang Puck fixes my dinner and I spend every night engaged in wild sexual abandon with a hunky alpha. Okay, the hunky alpha part is my real-life husband and he keeps my fantasy life enriched with extensive "research". But Wolfgang won't answer my calls, the faeries are on strike and my readers keep running off with the cabana boys.

So you see, biographies for websites can be fun, imaginative and clever. People will remember them. Bios for queries, bylines, and so forth should be short and to the point. Your name, where you're from, your pseudonyms, website and publishing credentials.

posted by Tawny Taylor at 2:12 AM |

1 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Kristen Painter:


I agree! There's no reason bio's have to be boring. They're a great way to give readers an idea of how "fun" your stories will be.


8:57 AM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela