Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Addicted to Reality TV

I am one tired author today, after staying up past my bedtime...to watch which ladies didn't get roses on last night's episode of The Bachelor.

I can't explain my fascination with the show. It's cheesy, melodramatic, and full of blubbering (intoxicated?) women who think they're in love with a guy after a couple of group dates and some groping in a pool. I must tune in each week and see what happens next.

I have my favorite bachelorettes and the ones I'd like to smack. I watch the Bachelor closely, noting his reaction to each girl. This season, I think he's already made his choice, after only a couple of weeks. We'll see if I'm right.

What do I think is the attraction? What makes women (and men?) like me tune in each week, even though there's yet to be a Bachelor who's married the "true love" he found on the show? It's the drama, the conflict, the guessing, and the huge stakes the guys put on the whole thing. They don't go into this saying they want to find a woman for a casual relationship (which is often what they end up with after the last show is taped). No, they're there to "find a wife." Huge stakes--being married to a Navy surgeon/millionaire entrepreneur/prince/whatever. Which brings out the best--and worst--in the women.

I found myself explaining why I watch the show to my hubby last night (of course, he doesn't share my enthusiasm), and I explained to him that the show was much like reading a romance novel. I'm sitting in on the Bachelor's dates, watching, rooting for the girl who seems to be there for the "right" reasons, and sharing those intimate, special moments.

Am I the only one who sees it like this?

Anyone else want to share some insight? Tell me I'm crazy? LOL

posted by Tawny Taylor at 9:57 AM |

6 Comments:

Commented by Anonymous Cindy:


You're crazy!

;o)

Ok, I'm joking. LOL I don't watch The Bachelor, but I DID get sucked into watching Rock of Love (I think was the name of it?) with Brett Michaels.

Pretty much the same thing (I think) only it was Brett Michaels looking for his "true love".

I'm not real sure WHY I watched it because all it managed to do was raise my blood pressure every week. LOL And I ended up missing the final episode, but I did find out that the one I had picked for him, won.


7:44 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Some of the reality shows do that to me, too--raise my blood pressure. In particular, the "talent" ones like American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. I always lose it when someone good gets kicked off. The dating shows--The Bachelor, The Age of Love, etc, don't do that to me as much.

BTW, a lot of people told me they got hooked on Rock of Love. I wonder if I can find reruns somewhere?


9:11 AM 
Commented by Anonymous Cindy:


Hmm.. that's a good question. It came on VH1, so I would *think* there would be reruns.

If I run across anything about it, I'll let you know!


7:45 PM 
Commented by Blogger Jill Monroe:


This comment has been removed by the author.


1:16 AM 
Commented by Blogger Jill Monroe:


I'm so glad I'm not the only one who couldn't look away from Rock of Love.

If you have the On Demand service in your area - they have RoL reruns on it.


1:18 AM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Ooh, thanks Jill! I hadn't thought to check On Demand.


8:38 AM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela