Back to Main Page

New Ebook Releases < Everlasting Hunger < Masters of Illusion < Blackmailed

Previous Posts

Books in Print

< Dark Master

< Real Vamps Don't Drink O-Neg

< Immortal Secrets

< Sex and the Single Ghost

< Animal Urges

Tawny's Fave Sites

LS Blogs Blog Directory

Sunday, February 10, 2008

For the record...

*sigh*

It's Sunday, and I've been clobbered by several bits of crappy news. On top of that, I've been accused and convicted of a "crime" on another author's blog. The crime? Being a bitch and becoming too big for my britches. The reason? I apparently responded to this person's self-introduction at the Romantic Times conference last year with a mean glare, silence and a hasty retreat.

And so, you see, this individual has concluded I am due a public flaying based upon a brief 30-second (???) or so exchange.

A few points:

1. For those who've never been to RT, it's the most exhausting, loud, chaotic conference I've ever attended.

2. Attendees spend the better part of RT racing from one meeting/event to another...or standing in horrifically long lines waiting to get into an event.

3. I would NEVER be rude to someone intentionally. As my husband will attest, I go out of my way to be nice to everyone, strangers included. It's the country girl in me, and I can't tell you how often my so-called over-friendliness has caused conflict between us...or nearly led to disaster (like the time I wanted to accept an offer to share a taxi with a couple of strangers in Las Vegas).

4. It's very easy to not hear/recognize or respond to someone you know at RT. This happened to me last year, with a favorite reviewer. She didn't recognize or hear me, and I could have taken it personally when she snubbed me. Later, I learned she didn't know it was me.

Maybe I don't need to respond to this person's accusations. She's entitled to her opinions--of me and anyone else she's decided to criticize. She's also clearly facing some personal crises in her life, and feeling she needs some attention. I don't want to add to the hell she's already steeped in (thus, the reason why I'm not going to post a link to her blog). Nor do I want to encourage her to dump on more authors for attention.

But I did feel compelled to offer a response, since she has called me out in a very public way. I can't say what happened that day. It's been ten months, and I honestly don't remember. But again, I would NEVER be intentionally rude to anyone. It's not in my nature to act that way, even when some people would say it's called for.

Tawny
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Wicked-Hot Erotic Fiction

posted by Tawny Taylor at 11:09 AM |

18 Comments:

Commented by Blogger Jennifer McKenzie:


Authors are a sensitive lot. I can say this since I, myself, have held unreasonable bitterness against other authors who have NO CLUE that I do.
I know that it's unreasonable, but I got my widdle feelings hurt and allowed that to color my attitude.
That being said, it's certainly not THEIR fault that I've hung onto this stuff.
Neither is it your fault if another author chooses to hang onto something that happened a year ago.
I'm sorry that this had to come up in a public forum. And I'm sorry that it had to be directed at you.
It could have been any author. Really.


3:46 PM 
Commented by Blogger Lillian Feisty:


Tawny, I am really sorry this happened. But you're right, conferences and conventions are overwhelming. Having met you in person, I know what a sweetheart you are. You've handled this with a lot of grace.

Hugs.


4:26 PM 
Commented by Blogger Kristen Painter:


Tawny, honest to goodness, you're one of the nicest people I've had the pleasure to know.

Perhaps this author has you confused with someone else. Or perhaps they just don't understand the stresses of such an event. Or perhaps their personal troubles have clouded them and caused them to lash out indiscriminately.

Either way, you are well and truly loved by all the divas. ;o)


4:33 PM 
Commented by Blogger jax:


I've been to a few conferences and they're all a zoo. You can't focus because your mind is all over the place and you've met so many people your head hurts. I'm sure I may seemed stuck up but you bet if someone came up and spoke to me I'd be nice. I never take it personally if someone doesn't happen to hear me and I just move on.

As I have met you several times I can say you are the SWEETEST person I know. You're not only beautiful and smart but a kind-hearted person. I think that people are quick to judge when they don't know the overall scope of the situation.

You're fine. And if you do snub me at conference, I'm just going to call you on it! LOL


4:40 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Hi Jennifer!

Boy are you right! We authors are sensitive, and many of us can easily read into other peoples' words/actions. I honestly think it's part of our makeup as artists, a trait we hold in common. Thanks so much for sharing your viewpoint.

Years ago, I had meningitis. After I recovered, I discovered I was suffering from some frustrating and strange side effects. I have some serious memory issues, which is usually very bad. I forget names and common words, forget where I put stuff like car keys, etc. But on the other hand, if I get upset I tend to forget why I was mad pretty quickly. I can't hold a grudge, literally.


5:01 PM 
Commented by Blogger Sela Carsen:


Now I feel left out. Tawny HASN'T snubbed me at a conference. ;)


5:01 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Thanks so much Lilli!

I can't wait to see you again this year!


5:01 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Oh Kristen! Thanks so much! I honestly feel the same way about you too! You're most likely right. I'd like to think she has me mistaken for someone else. But it's probably not that. She may have run up and said something, and it didn't register (see Jax's comment below) and I gave her a blank stare...and when she didn't say anything more, I ran off, headed for some workshop I was five minutes late getting to. That scenario makes the most sense to me.


5:05 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


LOL Jax!

I did not get a stuck up vibe from you at all. Crazy busy? Yes. Stuck up? Not a chance :)

Thanks so much. I'm starting to feel a real sense of relief about this whole thing.


5:18 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


LOLOLOL! Sela!

Thank you for the laugh. I *So* needed it today :)


5:18 PM 
Commented by Blogger R.G. ALEXANDER:


Dropping by to send you some love and let you know that I think you are one of the kindest people I know. You celebrated my first acceptance with me at that RT-gave me encouragement and time. And I cant wait to see you this year! Thank you.


5:29 PM 
Commented by Blogger Cassandra:


While I've never been to RT or Nationals, I have been to conferences before and it gets beyond crazy.

Knowing you as I do, I can't imagine you snubbing anyone.

Miscommunication happens, though. I know I've been at conferences and strained to hear the person standing right next to me–the crowd noise at times akin to a jumbo jet taking off.

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hi.


5:38 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Thanks so much RG! I was so excited for you, and the timing couldn't have been more perfect. I LOVE sharing happy squees with fellow writers. With all the yucky rejections we get, we need to be able to celebrate with each other and for each other.


5:40 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


You're absolutely right Cassandra! It's so easy to miss what someone says or misunderstand/misinterpret another person's words or actions. Thanks for dropping by!


5:42 PM 
Commented by Blogger Eva Gale:


Tawny, You're one of the nicest people I've come across online and you've always been so generous with information and knowledge.

And if you snub me I'll lay across your signing table and make you sharpie your name on my butt.


7:52 PM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Oh my God, Eva, LOLOL!


8:03 PM 
Commented by Blogger Eden Bradley:


Hey-I wanna sharpie my name on someone's butt...*G*
Seriously Tawny, I've met you and I know you're a sweetheart. Who knows what the heck happened that day at RT. Conferences are insane! We get overwhelmed, and I know I spend a lot of time dashing across the lobby, madly searching for that one person I must speak with before the next workshop or book signing. You physically have to grab hold of me at times like those to get my attention. Lucky for me, my friends all know this, so I get grabbed a lot. *G* But people sometimes take shyness or distraction as a personal offense,and we writers ARE a sensitive bunch-it's our artistic temperment. So I know that these accusations truly hurt you. And the other person who feels you snubbed them felt hurt at the time, even though it was probably just one of those weird conference moments.
Anyway-I'm sorry you got caught up in a mess that had absolutely nothing to do with you. *hugs*


12:11 AM 
Commented by Blogger Tawny Taylor:


Thanks so much for the hug, Eden! And the insight. Hugs back!


9:08 AM 

Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! Post a Comment.

TAKE ME BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE...

powered by blogger | Design based on template by mela