*The Emerald City Opener is desperately short on entries! If we don't get enough, the contest is at risk! This is a GREAT opportunity to get your work in front of fantastic agents/editors. Two weeks left to enter!*
2008 "EMERALD CITY OPENER" CONTEST
Does your first scene compel editors to ask for more?
Your opener is the hook that attracts an editor or makes a potential reader decide to purchase your book.
Polish the first seven pages of your manuscript and send them to the EMERALD CITY OPENER CONTEST. You'll receive feedback in the form of detailed score sheets. Your judges (published or Golden Heart finalists and winners) are encouraged to write comments on your entry.
June 15 - Entries must be postmarked by midnight June 15, 2008
September 15 - Finalists notified by telephone
October 11 - Winners announced at the Emerald City Writers' Conference
October 15 - Scoresheets and entries returned
Preliminary round - three judges (at least one published author plus GH finalists and winners); judges will be encouraged to make written comments directly on the manuscript as time permits and at the discretion of the individual judges. Judging is done on a point basis using score sheets.
Final round judging will be done by editors and/or agents attending the Emerald City Writers' Conference. They are:
Leis Pederson - Berkley Books, Penguin Group
Angela James - Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
Deb Werksman - Sourcebooks, Inc.
Kim Whalen - Trident Media Group, LLC
Barbara Poelle - Irene Goodman Literary Agency
Carolyn Grayson - Ashley Grayson Literary Agency
Kevan Lyon - Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency
First, second, and third place winners in each category will receive an award certificate and an individual editor or agent appointment at the Emerald City Writers' Conference (Oct. 10-12, 2008). In addition, the first place winner in each category will receive a $25 gift certificate.
Open to current unpublished members of RWA (uncontracted manuscripts only). Previous finalists of this contest may not re-enter finalist entries, even in an edited format.
Single Title Contemporary
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Print out and sign the "Contest Entry Form and Contest Agreement" and include it with your entry. A SIGNED ENTRY FORM MUST BE INCLUDED WITH EACH ENTRY.
Emerald City Opener Contest c/o Ann Roth
PO Box 25003
Seattle, WA 98165-1903
Each entry must include:
* Signed entry form and contest agreement
* Four (4) copies of the first seven (7) pages of your manuscript.
* One (1) check or money order in U.S. funds for $12.00 (GSRWA members) or $20.00 (nonmembers) made payable to Greater Seattle Chapter, RWA; Entry fees are non-refundable.
* One 9x12 or larger SASE with sufficient postage for return of entries and score sheets.
* Follow editor-submission format: typed, double-spaced with one-inch margins, one side only, 25-27 lines/page, 12-point font (we suggest Courier, New Courier or Times New Roman). No script fonts.
* Fasten your entry with jumbo or regular paperclips or rubber bands.
* Print entry on letter quality printers.
* Include the title of the entry and sequential page number in the manuscript header. DO NOT put your name on manuscript pages.
* Limit two (2) entries per person. Each entry must be submitted separately, (separate entry form/SASE/check).
* Failure to comply with these requirements will result in disqualification.
* Entries must be postmarked by June 15th, 2008.
* You will receive an email confirmation of your entry when the entry form and payment have been received.
If an entry is disqualified for any reason (clearly not romance fiction and/or does not fit the contest categories, improper format, etc.), the entry fee will not be returned to the contestant.
Questions? Email email@example.comEmerald City Opener
Labels: writing contests
Go Ahead, Share Your Thoughts! .